Heritage of India - Maharajas Express
Duration: 7 Nights / 8 Days
Route: Mumbai - Ajanta - Udaipur - Jodhpur - Bikaner - Jaipur - Ranthambore - Agra - Delhi
Starting from: USD 6840 (Per Person Per Journey)
Wander through the awe-inspiring caves of Ajanta, indulge in the city of romance - Udaipur and visit the magnificent forts ofJodhpur. Witness the colorful traditions of Bikaner and pamper with royal elephant rides in Jaipur. Get ready to hear the tiger roar at Ranthambore and enjoy the majesty of the astounding Taj Mahal in Agra.
- Route Map
The trip has been tailored to take the guests across the most fascinating, the most popular and the most awe-inspiring tourist destinations in India. The trip spans over 7 nights and 8 days and starts in India's city of dreams - Mumbai and concludes in the national capital territory of India - New Delhi. During this weeklong journey, the train travels through the Anjanta Caves in Maharashtra and reaches Rajasthan. The journey covers the state's most vibrant, diversified and royal towns and cities including Udaipur - the city of lakes, Jodhpur - the city of great heroes, Bikaner - renowned for the best riding camels in the world and Jaipur - the buzzing metropolis. To conclude this memorable ride through the heart of India, the guests are taken to Agra in Uttar Pradesh. The city is home to the beautiful Mughal mausoleum - Taj Mahal, which is listed as the Seventh Wonder of the World, owing to its stunning architecture. The trip concludes in New Delhi, the soul of India.
- Visit to the astonishing rock-cut caves of Ajanta - a UNESCO World HeriDays site.
- Royal lunch at Durbar Hall, Udaipur.
- Cultural programme and cocktail dinner with Marwar culinary delights at Hanwant Mahal, Jodhpur.
- Camel procession followed by Sundowner Cocktails at the sand dunes in Bikaner.
- Exhibition Elephant Polo Match in Jaipur followed by Champagne Lunch at Jai Mahal Palace.
- Adventurous game drive at Ranthambore National Park in Sawai Madhopur in Rajasthan.
- Visit to the magnificent Taj Mahal in Agra and Champagne breakfast at Taj Khema.
Day 01 / Saturday
Arrival: 14.30 hrs
Place: Hotel Taj Mahal Palace & Towers, Mumbai
Assemble at the hotel for a warm traditional welcome and complete your registration and check in formalities. The Maharajas' Express starts from Mumbai at 1640 hours and will travel through the land of the Marathas. Dinner and overnight stay onboard the train.
Day 02 / Sunday
Place: Ajanta Caves, Aurangabad, Maharashtra
Enjoy a lavish breakfast on board and visit the astonishing rock-cut caves of Ajanta. A protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India and listed in the World HeriDays list of monuments; the caves of Ajanta were created over a span of some 600 years. The Ajanta Caves are a series of 29 Buddhist cave temples, some of which date from the 2nd century BC. Encompassing both Theravada and Mahayana Buddhist traditions, the caves preserve some of the best masterpieces of Buddhist art in India.
Return onboard and the train rolls towards Udaipur. Breakfast, lunch & dinner are served on onboard the two skillfully designed restaurants - The Rang Mahal and the Mayur Mahal. Retire to your cabins or have a drink at the Safar bar or the Rajah club.
Day 03 / Monday
Place: Udaipur, Rajasthan
As the sun rises from across the azure lakes, peep outside your window to a vision drenched in romance. Enjoy the beautiful landscapes of the Rajasthan's lake city - Udaipur, popularly referred to as the jewel of Mewar. After breakfast on board, proceed for a sightseeing excursion to Udaipur, a city where fairy-tale palaces and gardens, temples and narrow lanes create a picture perfect atmosphere.
The day begins with the City Palace, a majestic architectural marvel towering over the lake on a hill surrounded by crenellated wall. The Palace is a conglomeration of courtyards, pavilions, terraces, corridors, rooms and hanging gardens. Later, visit the Crystal Art Gallery with a magnificent and rare collection of Osler's crystals. For more than hundred years, the crystals remained underground and the gallery was not open to public, due to its beauty and richness. Everything from the dining table, table, and sofa set to washing bowls, perfume bottles and even beds are adorned with precious crystals. The jewel studded carpet, embodying peerless class is the prime attraction of the gallery.
What follows is a visit to the Durbar Hall at the Fateh Prakash Palace, undoubtedly the most lavish Durbar Hall in India - a place where Indian Kings had their formal and informal meetings. Post a sumptuous lunch at the Durbar Hall; the guests have the liberty to indulge in any of the following activities:
- Return to the train to enjoy a relaxed afternoon.
- Pamper yourself with a rejuvenating spa in a five star hotel.
- Visit the VinDays & Classic Car collection - showcasing the magnificent Rolls-Royce, 1939 Cadillac open convertibles, rare Mercedes models, 1936 Vauxhall and 1937 Opel models.
Later in the afternoon, proceed for a 'Walking Tour' through the Old Market of Udaipur, if you feel like. Return to the Maharajas' Express as it starts rolling towards it next destination - Jodhpur. Dinner and overnight stay on board.
Day 04 / Tuesday
Place: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
To let you listen to the tales of antiquity in the emptiness of the dessert, the train enters the fortress city Jodhpur. The guests have the freedom to either stay on get a glimpse of true Rajasthani village life via the Bishoni Village Safari - where you can spot wild life like black bucks, chinkara, blue bulls, desert foxes, and partridges and can also have an opportunity to see the Bishoni families. Peep into their world and see the weavers, potters and block printers at work. If you prefer, you may go for a spa at a five star hotel in Jodhpur.
Post lunch on board, get ready to witness the magnificent forts, palaces and some of the finest architectural wonders of the world in the city of Jodhpur. The excursion starts with a walk through the Old Clock Tower market and proceeds on to the prime attraction in the city - the Mehrangarh Fort. The 5 km long majestic fort on 125 m high hill has some magnificent palaces with marvelously carved panels, latticed windows and evocative names within its complex. Noteworthy of these are the Moti Mahal, the Phool Mahal, the Sheesh Mahal, the Sileh Khana and the Daulat Khana. These palaces have a fabulous collection of palanquins, elephant howdahs, and miniature paintings of various schools, musical instruments, costumes and furniture.
Enjoy the colorful folk dances of Rajasthan at Hanwant Mahal, where a cocktail dinner is organized. Return to the train as the train rolls towards Bikaner - renowned for the best riding camels in the world.
Day 05 / Wednesday
Place: Bikaner, Rajasthan
As the train reaches Bikaner, the harbor of the ship of the dessert - the camel, you may relax on board or pick any of these excursions:
- Explore the imposing red sand-stone palace - the Lalgarh palace, which stands as a hybrid architecture and mixture of different elements of Rajput, Muslim and European styles. The Rajput exterior of Lalgarh Palace contrasts dramatically with the occidental décor within. Lush green sprawling lawns with dancing peacocks and beautiful bougainvilleas adorn the palace.
- Visit the astonishing Karni Mata Mandir or the Rat temple in Deshnoke, 30 km from Bikaner. The temple has thousands of rats that live, and are revered in, the temple. Eating food that has been nibbled on by the rats is considered to be highly auspicious.
Post lunch, which is served onboard Maharajas' Express, visit the Junagarh fort that dates back to 1588 A.D. built by Raja Rai Singh, the fort is a formidable structure encircled by a moat and has some beautiful palaces within. These palaces, built in red sandstone and marble, make a picturesque ensemble of courtyards, balconies, kiosks and windows. Immerse yourself in the true colors of the dessert with a Camel cart procession, which is followed by sundowner cocktails, barbecue and Rajasthani folk performances on the sand dunes. Board the train for dinner and overnight stay. The train proceeds towards to make you witness sheer symphony in pink in Jaipur.
Day 06 / Thursday
Place: Jaipur, Rajasthan
The train reaches Jaipur - the vibrant capital of Rajasthan, sitting on a dry bed lake and surrounded by barren hills, forts and crenellated walls. Post breakfast on board, your trip into this buzzing metropolis starts an exclusive experience - an Exhibition Elephant Polo Match at Jai Singh Palace. Set amidst 18 acres of Mughal Gardens, you get a grand welcome with royal military band and the beating of 'Nagadas'. The match is followed by Champagne lunch at the hotel.
Following lunch continue on a visit to the Amber Fort -a beautiful complex of palaces, halls, pavilions, gardens, and temples built by Raja Man Singh, Mirza Raja Jai Singh and Sawai Jai Singh over a period of about two centuries. Enjoy a royal elephant ride to palace complex, which emerges dramatically from the placid waters of the Mootha Lake. Further, the guests may pick from any of the following:
- Take one of the optional tours.
- Have a revitalizing spa at a five star hotel in Jaipur.
- Enjoy Golfing at the Rambagh Golf Club - a 18 hole, 6303 yard, Par 70 layout that is beautifully laid out & centrally located.
- Visit the City Palace - the former royal residence; and Jantar Mantar - a stone observatory.
Dinner and overnight stay on board the royal train.
Day 07 / Friday
Place: Sawai Madhopur (Ranthambore), Rajasthan and Fatehpur Sikri, Uttar Pradesh
Even before the sun dawns, you reach Sawai Madhopur, home to the Ranthambore National Park. A thrilling safari takes you close to the abode of the national animal of India - the Tiger. The park is home to other wildlife as well including sambar, chital, nilgai, chinkara, wild boar, sloth bear, hyena, jackal and leopards. After experiencing the exhilarating expedition, have a lavish breakfast at Vivanta by Taj - Sawai Madhopur Lodge.
During the latter half of the day, the train takes you across the fabled magnificent fortified Mughal city Fatehpur Sikri - a UNESCO World HeriDays Site. Admire the changing landscape while enjoying a hearty lunch on board. Brace yourself with the Mughal history by visiting this complex of monuments and temples, all in a uniform architectural style, including one of the largest mosques in India - the Jama Masjid. Other prime attractions here include Palace of Jodha Bai, Bibal Bhavan, Karwan Serai & Hiran Minar, Panch Mahal, Diwan-i-Khas and Diwan-i-Am.
Return to the train to enjoy the flavours of an 'India Night' as the train continues its journey towards Agra.
Day 08 / Saturday
Place: Agra, Uttar Pradesh and New Delhi
On the last day of what can be termed as a truly magical tour, you arrive into Agra city. The city homes the most extravagant monument ever built for love - Taj Mahal. This poignant mausoleum has become the de facto tourist emblem of India. It was constructed by Emperor Shah Jahan in the memory if his beloved wife, Mumtaz Mahal, whose death in childbirth in 1631 left the emperor heartbroken. The construction of the Taj began in that year and continued till 1653. Over 20,000 workers from India and Central Asia are believed to have created this marvel. No wonder, the result is so breath taking and awe-inspiring.
The Taj Mahal stands on a raised marble platform, north of the ornamental gardens. Purely decorated white minarets grace each corner of the platform. Twin red sandstone buildings frame the Taj; the western one is a mosque, the identical eastern one is purely for symmetry. The central Taj structure has four small domes. The tombs of Mumtaz Mahal and Shah Jahan are in a basement room.
The visit to this amazingly beautiful monument is followed by Champagne breakfast at Hotel Taj Khema, which overlooks Taj Mahal. Return to the train and enjoy your lunch on board in any of the exquisite restaurants - The Mayur Mahal or the Rang Mahal.
Soon, your journey into the lap of Indian heriDays would conclude as you train reaches the Safdarjung Station in New Delhi.
HeriDays of India Prices for season March 2015 to April 2016
(per person per journey)
|8 Days und 7 Nights||Deluxe Cabins||Junior Suite||Suite||Presidential Suite|
|Adult||USD 6840||USD 9890||USD 13800||USD 23700|
|Single Supplement||USD 5160||USD 8910||USD 13800||USD 23700|
|Child (sharing cabins with parents 5-12 years)||USD 3420||USD 4950||USD 6900||USD 11900|
- Supplement will be charged of USD 500 approximately on special departures like New Year, Christmas etc.
- Accommodation onboard Maharajs’ Express in double/twin bedded cabins having en-suite bathrooms.
- All meals and beverages (only the house brands of wines, spirits and beer).
- Service of the butler.
- Off-train sightseeing tours with guides.
- Entrance fees to monuments.
- Still camera charges and transportation diuring off-train excursions.
- Complimentary mineral water bottle, tea and coffee onboard.
- Porterage charges.
- Emergency medical treatment onboard.
- For guests who have made their bookings in Deluxe Cabins and Junior Suites, the off-train transportation would be provided to them in Volvo bus/Tempo traveller/Volkswagon crafter with a common English speaking guide.
- For guests who made their bookings for Suites, a Toyota Corolla along with a separate English speaking guide would be provided to them during off-train excursions.
- For guests in the Presidential Suites, Toyota Camry with separate English speaking guide would be provided to them.
- During jungle safari in Ranthambore National Park, jeep/canters will be provided to all the guests of Maharajas’ Express (including Presidential Suite and Suite category guests).
- In Orcha, the guests will be offered a small auto ride from Jahangir Mahal to the Railway Station.
- Maharajas’ Express train tariff doesn’t include taxes, insurance and gratuities.
- It doesn’t include any optional tour as mentined in the itineraries.
- Charges for telephone calls, laundry and alcohol beverages apart from the house brand of wines, spirits and beers.
- Charges for video films and professional still camera fees.
- Any pre and post journey transfers.
- Any international or domestic air ticket prices.
- Pre and post tour accommodation and extension of the tour.
Holidays to Treasure has emerged to be one of the largest Destination Management Company reaching out to over 27,500 discerning travelers from continents across the globe, even while it’s reputation for providing the best in holidays of style remains unequalled. Personalized services, luxurious accommodation at attractive prices and informed guidance are the company’s forte. The extensive experience of over twenty years in the travel business of it’s directors on board, adds to the quality, style and exclusivity of all services which the company offers.